MAKE YOUR RESERVATION
Guide Index :
Rome Guide - Money
There are banks on almost every corner in Rome . Normal business hours are 8:45am-1:30pm, 2:45pm-4pm Monday to Friday; some of them have longer opening hours on Thursdays and are also open Saturday mornings. Banks can change cash and travellers' cheques, with a commission of € 3.10 to € 5.16.
Automatic teller machines
Most of the banks in the city have 24-hour automatic teller machines, or "bancomats." Cards with the Cirrus symbol are accepted almost everywhere, but you may have to look a little harder to find a machine that takes the Star symbol. The following are just a few suggestions:
- Termini Area: Banca Nazionale del Lavoro (BNL), corner of Via Marsala and Via Solferino. Banca di Roma, Via Solferino. Banca di Roma, Via Gioberti.
- Spanish Steps: Deutsche Bank, Largo Tritone 161. If you have a problem with your Visa or Mastercard, come directly here, as it is the main branch in Rome for international cardholders.
- Vatican: Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, Piazza Risorgimento, 27. Monte dei Paschi di Siena (Visa, MC, Cirrus, EC), Via Cola di Rienzo, 240.
The exchange rate at the ATMs is very good, so the only extra fee you'll pay is whatever your bank at home charges for international withdrawals.
Private exchange offices
There are plenty of private exchange offices near the popular sights, generally open every day and in the evenings. If they advertise "no commission," make sure you check the exchange rate they are using.
- Piazza Barberini, 21. Metro Line A: Barberini. Mon-Sat 9am-8pm ; Sun 9:30am-5pm .
- Via della Conciliazione, 23 (down the street from St. Peter's). Bus 40 Express, 62, 64. Mon-Sat 8:30am-7:30pm ; Sun 9:30am-5pm .
- Via del Corso, 23 (close to Piazza del Popolo). Metro Line A: Spagna or Flaminio. Mon-Sat 9am-8pm ; Sun 9:30am-5pm .
No commission on Thomas Cook and Mastercard travelers' cheques. They also have a Mastercard service desk and MoneyGram money transfer service.
- Piazza di Spagna, 38. Tel. 06 67641. Close to the Spanish Steps--Metro Line A: Spagna. 9am-5:30pm Mon-Fri; 9am-12:30pm Sat. No commission on AmEx travelers' cheques.
There are also plenty of private exchange offices near the popular sights, open every day and in the evenings. If they advertise "no commission," make sure you check the exchange rate they are using.
Major post offices will change cash or American Express travellers' cheques:
- Centro Storico: Piazza San Silvestro. Near the Trevi Fountain. Mon-Fri 8:30am-6:30pm ; Sat 8:30am-1pm. Metro Line A: Spagna, or bus 492 or 62.
- Termini: Via Terme Diocleziane, 30. Near the McDonald's on Piazza della Repubblica. Mon-Fri 8:30am-6pm ; Sat 8:30am-2pm. Metro Line A: Termini or Repubblica.
- Vatican: Via di Porta Angelica, 23. Near Piazza Risorgimento. Mon-Fri 8:30am-6:30pm ; Sat 8:30am-1pm Sat. Metro Line A: Ottaviano, or bus 492.